Baked potatoes remind me of working in a small town English pub when I was a teenager, when the good old bacon cheese and beans ruled the roost. It seems to me, though, that baked potatoes must be an English thing as I’ve struggled to find them on Australian menus.
Perhaps they are a tad too naff for the rest of the world? According to Bill Bryson at least, we English are all too fond of less flavoursome food:
“…The British are so easy to please. They actually like their pleasures small. That is why, I suppose, so many of their treats — teacakes, scones, crumpets, rock cakes, rich tea biscuits, fruit Shrewsburys — are so cautiously flavourful.
They are the only people in the world who think of jam and currants as thrilling constituents of a pudding or cake.
Offer them something genuinely tempting — a slice of gateau or a choice of chocolates — and they will nearly always hesitate and begin to worry that it’s unwarranted and excessive, as if any pleasure beyond a very modest threshold is vaguely unseemly. ‘Oh, I shouldn’t really,’ they say.
‘Oh, go on,’ you prod encouragingly.
‘Well, just a small one then,’ they say and dartingly take a small one, then get a look as if they have just done something terribly devilish.”
Read the whole article HERE.
Perhaps Mr. Bryson is right because I know I am happy enough with a simple baked potato and a cup of tea any day of the week, and as for crumpets, well… life doesn’t get any better than that!
CLICK HERE to see this baked potato recipe as part of a leftovers meal plan.
1 medium potato per person
Strong cheddar cheese
2 Bacon rashers per person
How to cook the perfect cheesy baked potato:
- Never peel the potato – scrub the skin to remove any dirt
- Wrap potato in kitchen towel
- Place in the microwave for 6-10 minutes (depending on size) until softened
- Remove kitchen towel
- In a HOT oven put the potato (uncovered) on the top rack until golden and crispy (about 15 minutes)
- Cut a cross into the top of the potato and place a knob of butter
- Grate cheese over the top and microwave for 30 seconds on high until the cheese begins to melt
- Add toppings